Typically a middle manager would have quite a big responsibility for making it happen. It depends upon the type of organization and the way top management expects the results.
So how to rock as a middle manager? Well, Here are some tips:
- Demand clear, specific goals from your boss.
- Pull the work that matters.
- Ask your boss tough questions which challenge dominating premises.
- Do your best to fulfill those goals.
- If your boss guides you about ‘how’ to achieve the goal but you have a different idea, insist. Brainstorm and conclude. But once concluded, commit to it.
- Define clear, specific goals for your subordinates.
- Demand excellence. Convey that anything less than excellence will not be tolerated.
- Ask your subordinates tough questions, which make them discover new ways of achieving the goals.
- Inspire your subordinates to ask you tough questions.
- Inspire your subordinates to pull the work that matters.
Latest posts by Utpal Vaishnav (see all)
- What Comes First? People or the Product of the Project? - March 16, 2013
- Mastering the Basics of Project Management: The Complete Series from Nelson Biagio Jr. - March 11, 2013
- On Keeping the Schedule Secret - February 26, 2013